Saturday, January 23, 2010

gone, but not forgotten

I went to a funeral this past week.. Guess as I get older, chances are greater that someone I know will move upwards or hopefully not, in the other direction, to that great, rather hot abyss. Such was the case today. Someone who I actually had spent a fair amount of time with in prayer. Great woman, godly, joyful and really lived for the Lord. Genuine, as another friend of mine tagged her and appropriately so. She truly is in a better place now.

What always bothers me about funerals though, (beside the fact that someone you know is dead) is that I do not have the gift of small talk. Polite, courteous chit-chat is not my cup of tea. No matter how hard I try I usually end up saying something really stupid. And today was no different. I rather cheerfully said to the grieving husband, "Hey, how are ya doing", like he was going to say "fine, and you?" I need an instruction manual with a few simple ideas of what to say in different social situations.

Like someone who just lost their job, or their house. Tough times call for tender comments. It's not that I don't have the right sentiment in my heart---it is just that it gets twisted on the way out of my mouth.

Am I the only one? I think not. What do YOU say at times like these?

No comments:

Post a Comment